Treasure Trails Expansion and Easter 2019
This week sees the release of the 2019 Treasure Trail expansion with new beginner clue scrolls, new item rewards and challenges for all tiers of clue scrolls. A mimic boss and other changes such as stackable reward caskets are included. We're also launching this year's Easter event!
Treasure Trails Expansion
The major Treasure Trails expansion described in the original blog is now live in-game! The expansion includes a variety of clue related content which you can read about below. As a key piece of content many players regularly enjoy, we wanted to expand several aspects of treasure trails such as the types of clue that exist and the rewards available. We also set out to create Beginner clues for free players to encourage them to learn about clues and explore the world of Old School.
Beginner Clue Scrolls
Beginner clues are short (1-3 step) clue scrolls and are accessible to both F2P and P2P players. They only offer F2P rewards and are not a requirement for obtaining Watson's Master clues. Easy, Medium, Hard, Elite, and Master clue scrolls remain members only items.
There is also a new tutor, Arthur the Clue Hunter who will teach new players how clue scrolls work and where to obtain them. He can be found inside the Sheared Ram pub in Lumbridge. In addition, at the end of the X Marks the Spot Quest, Veos will now reward players with a Beginner Clue Scroll, and direct them to talk to the new clue tutor to learn more about it. If you have already completed the quest, you'll still be able to claim your Beginner Clue Scroll reward from Veos. STASH units have been added around the free to play area for Beginner Clues that require items to be worn.
To help teach new players how to create items and equipment, a new clue type has been added for Beginner clues only: Charlie's clues. For this type of clue, you'll have a chance to help Charlie the Tramp in Varrock by creating items for him from scratch.
In addition to Beginner clues, brand new clues have been added to each already existing tier for you to solve. The number of new clues for each tier can be seen below:
- Easy: 12
- Medium: 5
- Hard: 5
- Elite: 5
- Master: 5 and one new slider puzzle with a Theatre of Blood design
A new clue type has also been added that will require players to play certain music tracks in given areas or for particular NPCs. This type of clue will only be found during Easy, Medium and Hard clue scrolls.
What would a Treasure Trails expansion be without new rewards? To bolster each tier of clue with new cosmetic items, we've added the following items. The number and type of items added to each tier has been balanced with the existing rewards in mind.
- Jester cape
- Shoulder parrot
- Bear slippers
- Frog slippers
- Demon slippers
- Mole slippers
- God ornament kits (Saradomin, Guthix and Zamorak) for Rune scimitars
- Sandwich lady outfit (hat, top and bottom)
- Monk robes (t) and robe top (t)
- Amulet of Defence (t)
- Cape of Skulls
- Power Amulet (t)
- Rain bow
- Ham joint
- Staff of Bob the Cat
- Leather body (g)
- Leather chaps (g)
- Black heraldic platebodies (h1, h2, h3, h4 & h5)
- Spiked manacles
- Wolf mask and Wolf cloak
- Climbing boots (g)
- Adamant heraldic platebodies (h1, h2, h3, h4 and h5)
- Dual sai
- Thieving bag
- Gilded rune defender kit
- Obby maul ornament kit
- Berserker necklace ornament kit
- 3rd age plateskirt
- Blessed d'hide shields (Ancient, Armadyl, Bandos, Guthix, Saradomin and Zamorak)
- Rune heraldic platebodies (h1, h2, h3, h4 and h5)
- Adamant and rune dragon masks
- Ranger's tights
- Gilded dragonhide (top, legs, vambraces and coif)
- Gilded axe and pickaxe
- Gilded spade
- Uri's hat
- Fremennik Kilt
- Tormented bracelet ornament kit
- 3rd age druidic staff, top, legs and cloak
- All 3rd age or gilded items from lower tiers
- The Mimic Boss
The Mimic rate has been increased to 1/35 for Elite clues and 1/15 for Master clues.
There is now a chance of finding a Mimic casket when opening Elite (1/80) and Master (1/30) clue caskets. To enable this option, speak to the Strange Casket at Watson's house
. If you don't wish to encounter the Mimic, the option can be disabled
here too. When you attempt to open a casket and find it's a Mimic, you may take it to the Strange Casket to face the boss.
For Mimics from Master clues, you will have 6 attempts to kill the boss, for Elite you'll receive 5. Each time you fail to kill the boss (by getting killed or leaving the instance), your potential loot is decreased. On the other hand, defeating the Mimic on the first try will boost your chances of receiving its unique item, the 3rd Age Ring
Should you fall to the Mimic, you can reclaim your items for a fee of 90,000 GP from the Strange Casket mentioned earlier in Watson's house. This interface will work similar to others such as Torfinn's.
Other Treasure Trails Changes
In addition to the changes above, we've also made each tier of reward casket stackable. This means you can save up your clue rewards and open them all at once if you wish. Following the Treasure Trails expansion poll, only the caskets are stackable and clue scrolls themselves can still only be held one a time per tier.
Updated Clue Inventory Icons
The inventory icons for each clue tier has been updated to make it easier to tell them apart.
Watson's Teleport Scrolls
You can now hand in Master Scroll Books to Watson for a random number of Watson teleport scrolls. These will teleport you outside of Watson's house in Kourend.
Easter Event 2019
The time for this year's pun-filled Easter event has arrived! However, before the Easter bunny can go ahead and spread Easter eggs all across Gielinor, he needs some help. Find him north of Falador to lend a hand gathering the ingredients needed to make fuel for his egg making machine. To do this, you'll tunnel through the Easter bunny's burrow system to find his helpers Eg, Egg and Eggy who will aid you in finding the ingredients you need.
As always, completing this year's Easter event will unlock all the previous Easter holiday event rewards as well as some brand new ones! We hope you find them egg-cellent!
In Other NewsMaintenance Outages - UK and German Worlds:
Yesterday we took all German worlds offline for maintenance. The same can be expected for all UK worlds on the 17th - this is expected to begin at 9am BST and last for the day. A list of the UK worlds is found below: UK Worlds:
302, 308, 309, 310, 316, 317, 318, 325, 326, 333, 334, 341, 342, 349, 350, 358, 364, 365, 366, 371, 372, 373, 379, 380, 381, 382, 407, 408
- Last week's change to cannon splashing has been adjusted so that the cannon remains capable of doing at least 1 damage occasionally, even if your accuracy is very low.
- The Account Management tab now has an Old School Wiki link among other useful links.
- Default skirts have had their rendering order adjusted to clip with less things.
- The Gilded scimitar, Gilded boots and 3rd age cape can now be stored in the PoH treasure chest.
- A bug where it was possible to have more than one Clue scroll of the same tier has been fixed.
- Zulrah is now less likely to flicker when attacked with certain weapons.
- It is now easier to steal a target player from combat if they're splashing on PvP and DMM worlds; they now become vulnerable to this 40% earlier than previously.
- The plants adjacent to the bird house site in the Verdant Valley of Fossil Island have been changed to avoid interfering with clicks on the bird house.
- Following last week's nerf to the damage XP on Hespori flowers, we've restored a little bit of XP so that the XP drop can once again show that damage has registered.